Saturday, October 18, 2008

Formal Announcent of Candidacy

As of about fifteen minutes ago, I have made my formal announcement of candidacy on the Eve Online forums, in this post.

The text is reproduced below:

I’ve been thinking, lately. Thinking about what I think could be better about this game. I figured that now that we have this CSM, maybe I should tell my ideas to them. And then I realized that the CSM elections were coming soon. Maybe I should not only present some ideas to the CSM – maybe I should run for the CSM. After all, we have two expansions coming that focus on things that I have ideas about – even if my ideas wouldn’t make it into those expansions, it’s a good time to raise them, when topics of industry and roleplay are brought into the spotlight.

So here I am, running for election.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself.

In Eve, my primary jobs are to be an industrialist, a diplomat, and an administrator – I run a corp, take part in alliance leadership, and administer a mutual NAP treaty between several alliance and a number of corporations in several lowsec systems. My hobbies include mission running, racing, exploration, and PvP, and I also spend quite a bit of time roleplaying and immersing myself in the Eve universe. My alt, Thulla Icin, is a member of Eve University, a corporation that teaches newer players more about Eve, and helps them find their feet in this game.

In real life, I have served on the Student Senate in college, which I believe is an experience that will be of great value in preparing me to represent the players of this game to CCP. In the Student Senate I helped represent the concerns and issues of the student body to the college administration – now I shall help represent the concerns and issues of the players to CCP. And any of my fellow Senators can tell you that I am an asset to any meeting!

Let me also say a little about my ideas.

My slogan is “Industry, Lowsec, and Roleplay (oh my),” which should give an indication of the kinds of things I intend to focus on – though I hardly intend to exclude other issues.

In regards to industry, I feel that we must make sure that our attention to industry includes not only something for those who produce the goods, but those who use them – the combat players. Changes to industry will affect them as well, and we should be sure we have input from the consumer – and new things for industrialists to make means new things for combat players to use and destroy.

I also believe lowsec needs a boost. Recently, we had an update, the Empyrean Age, which made lowsec a battleground for the forces of factional warfare. What we have not seen, however, is meaningful improvements to low security space that would give non-PvP oriented players more of a reason to spend time in lowsec. Offering rich industrial oriented rewards in lowsec would be good both for those brave and cunning enough to exploit its riches – and for the pirates who prey upon the less cunning.

Finally, the coming of Ambulation puts the immersion aspect of Eve into the spotlight. While I understand that this is not important to everyone, it is very important to a number of players, and, I suspect that while it is not the most important aspect of the game for the majority of players, I think the majority would agree that it adds something to the game. I intend to be an advocate for this aspect of the game, while keeping efforts balanced with other aspects of game development, and ensuring, as always, that there is something for everyone to enjoy – more events, for example, that will lend a sense of immersion for those to whom it is important, but that might still offer some interesting combat – or interesting rewards – for those less interested in immersion.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I have a blog for the election that can be found here, please tell your friends, I hope that you will support me, but regardless of who you vote for, I encourage you to get involved, find out about the candidates, and VOTE.

Thank you.

No comments: